Sunday, February 28, 2010

How can my heart help but to desire to dance with the daffodils?

Well, i have been thinking a lot lately...maybe too much if that is possible (personally i don't think it is, but it does take away from my precious homework time, which itself is minimal hours a week). Wow, that sentence was one huge digression, sorry. Well, I have three 10 page papers due in about 24 hours, and “have not yet begun to fight!” –yeah, or i have not yet begun to write? Anyway, I just had to get this blog out before I lose myself in my papers.
I would like to talk about the poem. I like this poem for many reasons, but i will focus on what i consider to be one of its greatest morals. The poet may be playing the part of teacher and his method may be to teach using a parable, or at least a story that relates to each of us. While he was lonely wandering one day, he remembers the scenery of some English shore that was pattered with these daffodils. The narrator is obviously pleased by the vista, but there is no indication that that particular moment was of any grand preponderance in his life...at that time. He says, "I gazed--and gazed--but little thought / What wealth the show to me had brought" (l. 17-18). so he thought little at the time, but in retrospect he describes this scene as a "wealth," or something that he treasures.
These moments have happened to me as well—I do not realize their full importance until later. If something so foolish as a daffodil could bring joy and wealth to the life of Wordsworth, perhaps something so simple as a sentence said at the right time by the right person may be of similar impact to me.
That is to say, later in my life “when on my couch I lie” relaxed, and reflect on moment, or a picture captured in my mind, I want to do as does Wordsorth and, with a heart full of pleasure, dance with my memories!
I am so grateful for these moments in my life—when in the bliss of my solitude i can remember happy moments with others. I think the daffodils are both real indictations of flowers and symbolic his friendships. For in the beginning and the in the end, he was technically “alone.” At the beginning he was sad and by the end he was blissful. What then made the difference? –His relations. These moments are meant to be danced with and enjoyed. I have made some memories, that I believe will be looked upon with joy in the years to come. How can my heart help but to desire to dance with the daffodils?

10 comments:

  1. I had a splendid dream about dancing with Heber. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. call me and I'll tell you about the dream I had last night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting...I have never thought of Heber as a daffodil.
    can i call him dil for short? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. you remind me of buddy the elf
    'i'm in love, i'm in love. and i don't care who knows it!'
    hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. matt....keep on dancing...I feel that way all the time especially when I enjoy the reflection of my life in the quietness of my solitude. (Dad)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I square dance on Wednesday nights with Dad! It is rather blissful!! My heart beats much faster especially during "Oh, Johnny Oh"!
    We've been dancing with the daffodils for 29 years!
    Yipee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the memories of my life, cuz the last 22 years you have been a part of them!!! Yes, my bliss of solitude includes YOU!! Love ya Matty! I can't help but dance with the daffodils too!
    Do you want to dance?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwww! :) That makes me happy. 29 days until you're 22 Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now it's only 18 days until you're 22. :D yay And two days until the opera and 4 days until Moab!

    ReplyDelete