Wednesday, February 3, 2010



Emily Dickinson: My Life had stood - a Loaded Gun -

My Life had stood - a Loaded Gun -
In Corners - till a Day
The Owner passed - identified -
And carried Me away -

And now We roam in Sovereign Woods -
And now We hunt the Doe -
And every time I speak for Him -
The Mountains straight reply -

And do I smile, such cordial light
Upon the Valley glow -
It is as a Vesuvian face
Had let its pleasure through -

And when at Night - Our good Day done -
I guard My Master's Head -
'Tis better than the Eider-Duck's
Deep Pillow - to have shared -

To foe of His - I'm deadly foe -
None stir the second time -
On whom I lay a Yellow Eye -
Or an emphatic Thumb -

Though I than He - may longer live
He longer must - than I -
For I have but the power to kill,
Without--the power to die--

3 comments:

  1. Inconcievable!
    It reminds me of the cliffs of insanity...much to hard to do unless a giant carries you up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. i love moms comment.

    um, believe it or not. (i can't believe i am going to say this) i liked this poem.

    dun dun dun

    i kinda did.
    i am interested to know what you think though.
    i find it romantic.
    but maybe i am interpreting it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no such thing as a wrong interpretation. I think you bring up a valid point echo. Her life was like a loaded gun which was in a corner until the owner came. She knew she had potential, but what is the difference between a loaded gun and an unloaded gun if both are in a corner? She was waiting so you say for the love of her life. echo, you are good. I had felt soem romantic vibes from it, but i had not seen it so clearly until now. Thanks
    PS Mom, your comment is awesome too! Echo seems like a pretty good poetic giant.

    ReplyDelete