Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Man Said to the Universe

Yes, it is time for a new post! Many things have happened since i last wrote. I had a wonderful mini vacation down in New Mexico and loved it. Now I am back at school and quite frankly i am loving that as well. My classes are all very interesting.
So, while going over some sources for one of my research papers i ran into a little poem that i like. Now i know that most of you are tired of my poetry, but i there is something intrinsic to good poetry that makes me thoroughly enjoy it. This particular poem, "A Man Said to the Universe," is by Stephen Crane. I hope you can handle the length.

A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."

I found interesting the irony in the universe's response and the implications of the man's sentence. I know I have felt like the man in this poem many times. I have learned a few times that the universe has no "sense of obligation." hahaha I really like it. Here is a picture of me saying that very thing to the universe.

So, this picture was taken somewhere along the Italian/Swiss border...I can't remember the name of the small town right now. but there was a mountain that we summited that p-day as well. The view was amazing! And, just a personal note, even if the universe is not obligated to, it usually helps me out.

9 comments:

  1. Yes, the universe does help me out also.
    Nice pillar pic. I believe I have never seen that shot. I also like how "puffy coat" made it on the the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post. :) I can handle short and sweet poems like this! Perfect picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree that the universe usually helps you out. more than anyone else i know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so the other day when i was waiting for trevor and his wife, i was parked illegally. I thought it was only going to take 5 minutes, it took an hour and a half. anyway, as i was approaching the car I noticed that there was a cop right behind me. "oh poop," i said. and then proceeded as if nothing had happened. He came out of the car and presented me with a little yellow ticket. (Provo cops are ruthless when it comes to parking tickets...it is the only action they get in the day). I sincerely sighed and and got a sad, but not altogether disappointed look on my face and told him i was just picking up my brother. To my surprise and delight, he motioned to give the ticket back to him, whereupon he quickly tore it up! just thought i'd give a recent example of the universe helping me out. Had Trevor gotten the ticket he would have had to pay double or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha...I like your above comment Matt! It made me laugh. so true.
    Hey I thought of you yesterday....did any leprechauns leave something gold in your shoes?
    My boys got rolos and reeses in their shoes....and many...they each left out four pair by the side of their bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, that sounds like fun, boss! Thank you so much for creating some magic in my childhood that year. I still have every leprechaun letter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matt is one of the most blessed people I know. Blessed with luck like you've never seen! :P And, go St. Patty's Day! I think we MAY have been the only sober people in Salt Lake...? jk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, i guess i better re-post that opera pic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, my mom saw it so you can do whatever you want! :)

    ReplyDelete