We were down in Manti for the three-day weekend! We really love it down there, there is no better break from the stresses of school than a little hard work on the farm and great homemade meals. We had so much fun! The lambs all had their babies, two of the lambs had twins! cute little devils. We had to bottle feed one of them. The little calves did not do as well. We started out with 11 of them before a disease knocked out 7, and 2 are still in bad shape. We tried everything to heal those poor guys.
Above is a picture of me going out to bottle-feed the calves.
We also welded a lot...so much that my eyes got really sunburned; they call it welder's flash. Wow, that is painful! I didn't get much sleep for the first three nights after. It hurt to close my eyes and it hurt to have them open. I couldn't stop the tears and the nose got all full of drainage too. Very uncomfortable, I don't suggest to anyone to try it. On the bright side, I have recovered fully and am not blind.
Next is a funny story, I made dough for sugar cookies on Valentines, but we didn't have any powdered sugar (for frosting) or any cookie cutters, so i put the dough in the fridge. When we got back from Manti--one week later--we remembered about the dough and decided it would still work so I rolled it out while Aubrey made the frosting. We still had no cutters, so we took a knife to it.
Today, BYU beat San Diego!!! Go cougs! oh, and last night Matt (bingham) and his friend came up here to sleep because they wanted to take the Spanish test to opt out of many classes that BYU offers. They didn't want to get up early and drive from Manti, so we hosted them. We were excited to use our airmatress we got for Christmas until we realized we had no pump! all we had was a blow-dryer, but the air would go out the sides and all so I used electrical tape (cuz that's all we had) to seal it off. It didn't work so well, but it we persisted. We tried a bike pump, no bueno. finally Aubrey just blew it with her mouth to fullness (well as close as we could get). Go AUB!
Even though the picture is of me, the major credit goes to Aubrey for blowing it up by mouth.
Also today we had the idea to make up some lasagna! I love le lasagne! I wanted to make homemade noodles with embedded basil and oregano to give it a little zing. We boiled our secret brew (the red sauce) for 3 hours...it's going to be good. We will make the besciamella (essential to a good lasagna) tomorrow when we eat the masterpiece. Of course we will add our mozzarella and instead of Parmesan cheese, we are using my personal favorite, Grana Padana!
yum.
Scudi has a girl?!
ReplyDeletemmmm.....those cookies look yummy. I like your letters way better than cookie cutters.
set the table for me!
ReplyDeleteGuess what!! The shooting has begun here in the Congo. WE got sent to our apartment yesterday. Many people died. We are safe so don't worry. We are obedient and alert! The shootings were down close to where we run everyday. (No running today:( actually no running for a whole week...until it is safe:( back to the roof
We are down to two calves. I guess we needed you here to help bottle feed them. The cows are starting to calve in the field though. We've gotten two so far. Hopefully they will be healthier than the others. So, how did the lasagna turn out? You two are creative with food. You are learning to "work with what ya got". An important skill to have!
ReplyDelete