I was just thinking about Don Williams's song "I believe in you," I really like what he is saying in it. Here it is: (I am not a supporter of the video, but it was the best audio recording on youtube that i could find)
The more I believe in my wife the better off my life goes. The more I believe in others that are close to me, my awareness of their needs and joys is sharpened.
Valentines Day was tough for us, Aub was up at 3 am getting flowers ready at work and was there until 6:30 pm. What a trooper! Do you think she wanted to come home to some flowers? My day was stretched with work, school, and a nasty midterm on Transatlantic Literary History, which I sadistically enjoyed. In short, it was a long hard valentines day, but we made it beautiful. Walking home exhausted, on our doorstep was a bag from "Cupid." (How on earth Cupid made it up here to deliver that bag of goodies is still a mystery to us). Wow, it is amazing what a little love from someone who cares about us can do! We were happy, but we were tired before we saw that bag. I (though I am ashamed to admit it) was brought to happy tears of gratitude. Aub and I can make it on our own, but life means so much more when we can share it with family. Thanks mom.
On another note, check this out: a year ago we went to a Jazz game. Have we grown up since then?
Please don't get bored with the description of our diet, I promise it has a meaning in the end. Stay with me!
We wanted to make Chicken noodle soup with the remaining parts of the chicken. I wanted to surprise Aub so I went straight home from class to have dinner ready when she got there. I chopped up carrots, celery, onion, etc., put them a boilin', and went to grab some egg noodles, but to my surprise we had none! (what an italian without noodles! yes, i know it is sad). So I dug deep into my italain roots and realized we had some eggs and some flour. I hastily made some fettuccine noodles.
Finally, after all that long-winded explanation I have arrived at my point: we made all these meals together! (Putting a new line in Don Williams's song, "I don't believe that the kitchen is only the place for women"). Some of our sweetest memories have been made as we work together in the kitchen. Talking with others in our student ward, we are constantly surprised at how many people don't work together on meals. It is either "your night" or "my night," or else it is always the wife's job. I feel that we have gained so much by cooking together. I would not trade that for anything. And whether the meal turns out great or whether it fails, it has always been a sweet experience. I know this may not always be possible as we get older, but I will do my best to be there and make cooking a family activity.
And below these letters is a happy couple enjoying their Valentines Crushes that were left by "Cupid."

Go to AUBREY'S BLOG for more info
You guys make me happy seeing that you are so happy. Love you both!
ReplyDeleteTrev
Cooking together is the BEST! Way to go. You two are great!
ReplyDeleteAnd homemade chicken noodle soup sounds DE-LICIOUS!
ReplyDeletecool post matty! I like cooking with heber the best too!
ReplyDeleteI miss you guys!
I wanna come and cook with you two!!
ReplyDeleteI'm not the quickest one on the draw when it comes to commenting (a month later!) I'm sure glad Cupid found you and that you ended up having a good Valentine's Day. Thanks for loving each other so much. You two make me smile!
ReplyDelete