
The Wilk is the place on BYU campus to get free hard candies, and if you're really lucky a free t-shirt every once in a while. Aubrey works in the basement so I often end up with a tootsie roll or a cinnamon candy as I go to pick her up. I love walking home with her. There is nothing like being right there right when she finishes. I catch all the emotion of the day just by the look on her face. This is probably why my mom always tried to see us right after school to pick us up...actually, I know that is why she did that. Anyway, back to the Wilk: I was walking to pick her up from work. there were people handing out fliers (an everyday occurrence). The people handed me one and said, "Come get free pizza at the Brick oven tonight." I looked down at the flier as I passed by and saw that it had nothing to do with pizza and everything to do with a pesticides sales job in the summer. Lame.
Anyway, the bookstore charged me $6 extra for a book so they gave me $6 of in-store credit. With that 6 dollars I searched the overpriced bookstore for an 8th month anniversary present. I got BYU's famous fudge for $4 and a tape measure for $1. they gave me back 90 cents in change and taxes ate the rest. "A tape measure and fudge, hmmm, sounds like a quality 8 month present," I thought.

I bought two kinds, the Health kind above and the peanut butter layer fudge at the beginning of this post. (Mom, I know this will make your mouth water. I promise we will give you a half pound of whatever kind you want as soon as you get back here to the states...plus we get 20% off).
But the story isn't over yet. I tell Aubrey we have dessert when i pick her up, but we ask ourselves the famous question, "What's are we going to make for dinner." I hesitantly ask if she wants free Brickoven pizza. She said, yes, so i added the part about it being a sales pitch for a pesticide company, and that it may be a little awkward; nevertheless, we were two poor college students and freeloading free pizza was worth the hour lecture and awkwardness, right?
We enter and we are the only married couple, there were no other girls, poor aubrey was alone. there were only two seats left and they were in the very front row. Well we sat down, gave the guy at the door our phone number, and ate our pizza while they talked to us. When they were done, we wanted to split, but the other guys were way into the sales pitch and were asking all sorts of questions. We didn't want to be rude so we stayed seated. Then they announced that a raffle was going to take place and the big prize was going first, an XBOX 360. I thought to myself, "That sort of gift applies well to single salesmen, but to a married couple..." My thoughts were interrupted as my phone rang. I answered with a bored "uh, hello" and I was talking to the guy two feet in front of me. They had called my number, literally. He hesitantly handed over the Xbox knowing he was not getting his money's worth with us. He simulated my telephone response saying, "uh, here you go" anticlimactically.
Murmurs broke out. People didn't know whether to applaud the winners like usual or not. Voices went off: behind me came, "They don't even look that excited." then to our right, "Well, I guess it's good that the married couple got it." In front of us there was a rare scene: two salesmen with their mouths shut, just looking at each other. I reveled in this moment laughing hard on the inside and faking sociability on the outside. Finally the salesman opened their mouths to ask if we had ever thought about doing sells. Thankfully that question was vague enough to say yes to. Then they asked about summer plans and my wife said, "I think we have our summer cut out for us." So they begrudgingly congratulated us and we left.
As soon as the door closed behind us we started laughing out loud at the whole irony of the situation. We don't even have a TV! We walked home laughing and I am laughing even as I write this. It was fun and funny, we totally worked the system. Aubrey had texted her mom as we entered the meeting telling her that we were going to a pesticides sales meeting, so after when aubrey texted, "guess what?" Her mom freaked out saying, "You did NOT sign a contract with them did you!?" This got us laughing all the harder. We called her back to tell her the story. Anyway, I am glad that we may never forget our 8 month anniversary. We sat down and ate some fudge and laughed about the day: A great ending to a great day. Oh, and thanks to Craigslist, we sold that gaming machine to some BYU kid.
I think I shall call you "Mattluck"
ReplyDeleteIt has a good ring to it!
Great party...where's the x-box!!!
love ya dad and mom xoxoooooo
hahahahaha
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteps. please send me some of that fudge. its for the baby, i swear!
ReplyDelete