Well, I was going to finish up my thoughts on Water and the interesting things i am learning from the ancient church, but today i don't feel like thinking deeply...or complexly. So I thought i'd quote some Lord Alfred Tennyson,
Flower in the Crannied Wall
Flower in the crannied wall,
I pluck you out of the crannies,
I hold you here, root and all, in my hand,
Little flower--but if i could understand
What you are, root and all, and all in all,
I should know what God and man is.
What is it here that our friend Alfred is trying to say? Why does he use a flower to make his point? These are some questions that we can ask to understand the poem better. I would like to see what some of you think before i tell you a what i think. Good luck!
hhuumm..... I am about to go do my run right now. I shall contemplate these words through my mind as each foot touches the ground! Get back to you later!
ReplyDeleteI am back...I think first of all... Is a crannied wall like a stone edge fence? Here is a beautiful flower growing out of its bed that catches our eyes and causes us to think on life. As the poet takes notice of the flower, root and all he realizes our potential or maybe can not even understand our potential by the miracle of a complete plant, root and all. Can you imagine our potential...root and all and all!! If you can, you can understand God and man.
ReplyDeleteI too will have to give this some thought.... at another moment perhaps.
ReplyDeleteI am off to Safeway to dote upon my craving for dutch chocolate ice cream with ice cold milk.
:) mmmm....
i hate poetry. in fact i even wrote a poem about how much i hate poetry and turned it into my 10th grade teacher.
ReplyDeleteif a flower is growing in a cranny, i envision it not getting much light and perhaps not able to grow to it's full potential.
ReplyDeleteIf it was plucked out by it's roots-maybe it can be replanted in another prosperous location.
What do you think???
ReplyDeleteLaura, Your comment is the only one that i had not thought of before. I really like it!
ReplyDeletei ate a flower once with Trevor. it was pretty tasty. also, it makes for a good story.
ReplyDeleteAh-ha! I can comment now and I'm thrilled about that... here's what I wanted to say:
ReplyDeletenever mind, it won't copy and paste. So you'll have to just do without my comment being on your blog. :) Sorry- what a loss! :Z jk
a flower is effeminate, but hardy. it represents the sometimes fragile nature of the human spirit. Fragile, but resilient, and able to create beauty and joy in even the most trepidacious and volatile environments. But despite this miracle, we are still unable to completely know; to know each other, the nature of the universe, ourselves...even to know God is a struggle.
ReplyDelete